Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Post B

So for this free response, I'd like to discuss the religious aspects of the book. As anyone can see by the title of my blog, I'm Christian, and I'm pretty serious about my faith too. This book takes place in North Africa, crossing the Sahara Desert, so by default there will be the Islamic faith (which my father is). One part of my faith that may differ from other's, is that I believe that other religions (for other people) are acceptable. To explain that confusing sentence is easy. One thing that we are taught in Church is that the only way to heaven is through Jesus Christ, that's not something I believe. I believe that the only way for me to get to heaven is through Jesus, but that my Indian neighbor can only get to heaven through the Hindu religion. This idea is reinforced by The Englishman that takes the caravan across the desert:

"' We make a lot of detours, but we're always heading for the same
destination.'" (77).

Another thing that I wanted to bring to light was that Islam isn't really as scarry as some people think it is. In today's news, Americans are exposed to terrorists that are Islamic, and that it's part of the Islamic religion to do all the terrible things that have happened. The truth is, those that believe that it is in the Koran to bomb cities and kill millions are only a small percentage of most Muslims, they are known as the extremists.

"[...]But that disaster taught me to understand the word of Allah: people
need not fear the unknown if they are capable of achierving what they need and
want. 'we are afraid of losing what we have whether it's our life or our
possesions and property. but this fear evaporates when we understand that
our life stories and the history of the world were written by the same hand.'" (76)


This also ties to my 1st point. All roads (IN MY OPINION) lead to the same place, its just that some people need to take a left turn, while other need to take a right turn.

No comments: