Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Grrrrrrrr, Post B

Dear Paulo,

I know this is yet another letter to you, and that it gets boring, but I really don't feel creative right now. I did however want to mention some things I found in your book. The first thing was a very long quote that struck a chord with me (in a good way):
" 'Well,' asked the wise man, 'did you see the Persian tapestries that are hanging in my dining hall? Did you see the garden that it took the master gardener ten years t create? Did you notice the beautiful parchments in my library?' The boy was embarrassed, and confessed that he had observed nothing. His only concern had ben not to spill the oil that the wise man had entrusted to him. 'Then go back and observe the marvels of my world,' said the wise man. 'You cannot trust a man if you don't know his house.' Relieved the boy picked up the spoon and returned to his exploration of the palace, this time observing all of the works of art on the ceilings and the waslls. He saw te gardens, the mountains all around him, the beauty of the flowers, and the taste with which everything had been selected. Upon returning to the wise man, he related in detail everything he had seen. 'But where are the drops of oil I entruted to you?' asked the wise man. Looking down at the spoon he held, the boy saw that the oil was goond. 'Well, there is only one piece of advice I can give you.' said the wises of wise men. 'The secret of happiness is to see al the marvels of the world, and never to forget the drops of oil on the spoon.'" (31-32)
As I read this over a couple of times, I was trying to understand what you meant here. Are you saying that we should not take life for granted? Or are you saying that we should pay attention to details that are large and universal and to the details that are small and personal? That was my major question for the day. Now I feel more sure about my thoughts on it.

Sincerely,
Kian H-R

No comments: