Here is last weeks post....I'm so bad at this :-(
As the main character of Coelho's novel continues his journey in northern Africa, I've been seeing more and more culture. On page 42, the boy is standing in the empty market place pitying himself for being fooled. As he is going through a plethora of emotions, readers can detect some stereotypical thought comming from the boy. First, he says that the bartender was giving him a dirty look because he was being robbed by a thief. He then rationalizes that all the people in the market place really are thieves. But as he continues through his roller coaster of sadness and despair, he realizes that he has the two stones. These stones I believe are a piece of his culture because it relates back to the idea of good and bad omens and fortune telling, which isn't seen on a daily basis here. I also noticed that while he was in the market place, some of the things that were for sale were specific to northern Africa. Most times, when we walk into a store, we don't usually pick up a sword, or even see one, but that's what can be bought in the market place of Tangier.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment