Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Hmmm, well we've got a new kind of post this should be interesting...
Some Culture that I've noticed in The Alchemist by Paulo Cohelo is the noticeable difference between occupations people will hold in the Spain, compared to jobs that you'd most likely find in a big city here in the US. First of all is that the main character is a Shepperd, he herds his sheep around the different settings in Spain. Through the mountains, through fields, down by the sea, and through small villages. Now, think of that...now think of what you'd see if you walked through Minneapolis-or even Edina for that matter. Basically, you won't find anyone shepherding anything through any mountains. Part of the cultural difference I think can be linked to a difference in times. But the only thing that tells me "no its not just the times," is that when ever the main character goes through a small village, he meets vendors and bargainers and a fortune teller. That's definitely something you would not find here in the US now, or in the past. I don't think that it puts a spotlight onto the Spanish/Europeans and there gullable-ness (not a word, I know), instead I think that it shows simply a difference in culuture.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment